Grandpa is important to remember this Father’s Day, too! If you don’t know what to get grandpa, or just need to add the perfect touch to your already amazing gift, you can never go wrong with a thoughtfully written greeting card.
Picking out one of our personalized greetings is the easy part. Sometimes writing how much someone means to us is the most difficult part.
Below is a list of 15 meaningful Father’s Day messages for Grandfathers to help you compose the perfect card, as well as 8 ways to put a smile on his face on this special day.
Father's Day Messages for Grandpa
- Grandpa, when I think of you, I think of sharing popsicles on the porch, big bear hugs, and the unconditional love you have shown me through the years. Enjoy your special day, I love you!
- You taught me how to change the oil on a car and how to be a friend, but most importantly you were the best friend to me growing up. I love you Grandpa! Happy Father’s Day.
- Grandpas are full of great advice. No matter the advice, Grandpa, you have always looked out for my best interest and I am forever grateful. Have a great day, you deserve it!
- Only the best fathers get promoted to GRANDfather. You are Grand and we love you!
- I thought I was lucky getting to have you as a father. Having my children look up to a role model like you is priceless. Happy Father’s Day, dad!
- Grandpas make the world a little kinder, a little softer, and a whole lot more fun! Enjoy your special day!
- Grandpas have the wisdom of many years, and the tenderness of a loving heart. We love you Grandpa!
- Grandpa, you have a love that is never ending, arms that are never empty, and a heart that is always full. Have a wonderful day! We love you.
- Grandpas' hearts are made of gold, hands are made of steel and hugs can cure any worry. Thank you for always being there for me, Grandpa!
- From soccer games in the rain, to ballet for hours, Grandpa you have always been so supportive, which means the world to us. Thank you and we hope you have a great Father’s Day.
- Grandpa, your love is like you, it never goes out of style. Happy Father’s Day.
- Strong roots make beautiful leaves. Thank you Grandpa for adding so much love to our Family Tree.
- Full of wisdom and charm, thank you for being the best Grandpa I could wish for.
- Just one more cookie, Grandpa? Just one more ride, Grandpa? Thanks for always letting me have that ONE more special moment with you. Happy Father’s Day, Grandpa!
- We hope you have a BEARY good Father’s Day Grandpa! We love you.
How Do You Celebrate Your Grandpa on Father's Day?
A grandfather has the wisdom of lifelong experience combined with a father’s love. Grandpas bring perspective, great storytelling, and love to your life. Show your grandpa just how much he means to you this Father’s Day. The below gestures and activities are sure to make him feel extra special and create memories that will be forever cherished.
1. Remind him of his favorite hobbies or interests
As we get older, sometimes our hobbies and interests get pushed aside. Reflect on what your grandpa really loves to do, and take the time to spend the day with him pursuing this interest.
Is grandpa an avid golfer? Perhaps he spends his afternoons in the garden or doing home DIY. If he has projects he likes to do, ask him to show you how it's done and learn alongside him for the day. He'll be honored at the chance to teach them to you.
2. Take him out for his favorite food or cook for him
Does your grandpa love food? Even the simplest ways to spend time together, such as sharing a meal, will be appreciated. Go out for a meal at his favorite restaurant to just have some time to sit and chat together. If he likes to cook, prepare a meal together for the rest of the family and then have everyone join to eat. He'll likely love the extra set of hands in the kitchen and you can learn some traditional family recipes along the way.
3. Record a family video or make a scrapbook of photos
Is your grandpa the sentimental type? Pull at his heartstrings with a family video or scrapbook! Get together all the grandkids and record a video of appreciation - thanking grandpa for all that he does, and throw in a few jokes too to make him laugh! Alternatively, you could also make a scrapbook with beautiful photos of the whole family and small heartfelt notes.
4. Hear about your family history
Is your grandpa interested in genealogy? If so, rally the family together to learn more about your history! By listening to grandpa's stories, he'll feel valued and appreciated, and you'll likely get to learn something new too. A great way to do this is by drawing out your family tree, and asking your grandfather to share tales about his childhood and other relatives to help you plot on their branches on the tree. You could end up with great stories, a better understanding of where you come from, and a treasured keepsake you can pass down to your children someday. Most importantly, it will make grandpa’s Father’s Day extra special.
5. Listen to Grandpa’s favorite music
It may come as no surprise that your grandpa is longing for music of his generation. Show interest in his music taste and ask him for his favorite songs and artists. By learning about this, you can compile a playlist which features his all time favorites, and even have a little dance and sing-song together to make him extra happy!
6. Catch a movie
Catching a movie together is another great way to spend time with your beloved grandpa. Some theaters nearby may also hold showings of classic films, which will allow you to see one of his favorites from when he was your age. Make grandpa feel extra spoilt by treating him to popcorn, soda, and all the frills! If you both still have an appetite after, bring him for dinner and enjoy each other’s company while discussing the movie you watched together.
7. See a sports game together
Is your grandpa an avid sports fan? Whether it is baseball, basketball, or soccer, going to a sports game is always a good time, and one of the best ways to make memories on Father's Day. Sporting events are great activities because they give you plenty to engage in and talk about as you watch the action of the game live. Treat grandpa to some stadium food such as hot dogs and fries - it's an essential part of the game day experience!
8. Go visit him
If your grandpa isn’t up for any strenuous activities, that’s also okay! Simply going to visit him and spending quality time talking to him will show that you care about him and want to spend the day with him. Bring him a nice gift, his favorite food items, and a beautiful card with a heart-felt message. You’ll be surprised at how much your company will lift him up! Stuck for present ideas? Check out our article with Father's Day gift ideas to find the perfect gift for grandpa on Father’s Day.
There are many ways you can spend time with your grandpa this Father's Day. Reflect on what would mean the most to him and find ways to incorporate this into a gesture or an activity. He's sure to appreciate any love and attention you provide, and you'll make memories of your grandfather that you can treasure forever.