New mothers and moms-to-be have a lot on their hands. Although new motherhood is a beautiful period in life, it is also undeniably overwhelming – and often isolating for new mothers.
To recognize this, we have compiled some tips for celebrating a loved one's first Mother's Day to make their day one to remember. Let the new mother in your life sit back, and enjoy a well-deserved break while she is pampered with some thoughtful first Mother’s day gifts. We’ve got you covered with these first Mother’s Day ideas!
Why Her First Mother’s Day Matters
Motherhood is the ultimate act of self-sacrifice. Mothers give so much love to their children that it’s only right that they’re treated with the appreciation they truly deserve. First-time mothers or expecting mothers have a lot on their hands, so going the extra mile to make them feel especially loved and cherished will make all the difference. With this in mind, let’s explore the best first Mother's Day ideas–from gifts and activities to messages and more.
First Mother's Day Gift Ideas for New Moms
Visit any shopping mall leading up to the holiday and you’ll be spoiled for choice when it comes to Mother’s Day gifts. From cards to candles to flowers, the selection is endless. Although these can work as great options, why not make your loved one’s first Mother’s Day that extra bit special by choosing a one-of-a-kind gift?
Here are some first Mother’s Day ideas for gifts that add that extra special oomph factor:
1. Memoir jewelryThe first Mother’s Day is a special occasion that will become a cherished memory. A stunning piece of jewelry such as a bracelet or pendant engraved with the date is a fantastic way to commemorate the day.
2. Personalized photo albumNowadays, the beauty of a physical photo album is often overlooked. A photo album is an item that will be cherished and passed down through generations – so what better way to mark the occasion than with an album full of memories? If you don’t have enough photos, make some space for her to add additional photos throughout the journey of motherhood.
3. Flower bouquet
Never underestimate the ability of flowers to brighten up a loved one’s day. Instead of grabbing the first bouquet you see at your local convenience store, really put some thought into the flowers and the type of message that they convey. A beautifully wrapped bouquet with a personalized note can make all the difference in making your loved one’s first Mother’s Day more special!
If you want to make the gift more unique, gift her some Lovepop Flowers that will never wilt so she can always cherish them to remember her first Mother’s Day.
4. Gift basketGet creative by buying a wicker basket and filling it up with her favorite treats and products. She’ll feel extra spoiled at the efforts you have gone to put it together!
5. Special cardThe feeling of receiving a thoughtful card from your loved one is hard to beat. Instead of opting for a convenience store card, go the extra mile to commemorate your loved one’s first Mother’s Day with a unique and striking greeting card. Pop-up cards are a fantastic option for that extra sparkle. Browse our Mother’s Day Collection for inspiration – you can choose from cards inspired by sentiment or her favorite flowers.
6. JournalThe art of handwriting is timeless, and journaling provides the perfect outlet for this. A journal is also a beautiful way for a new mother to reflect on her journey into motherhood. To make it extra special, purchase a Mother’s Journal with prompts that she can write about.
7. A Zen presentThe stresses of motherhood are undeniable, so purchasing a gift that will allow your loved one to unwind and get her zen on is a thoughtful idea. Go a step beyond candles, and invest in a diffuser with essential oils which will create a (much-needed) atmosphere of calmness and tranquility in the new mother’s home.
How to Make the First Mother's Day SpecialCelebrating your loved one’s first mother’s day goes beyond physical gifts. There are also a number of First Mother’s Day activities to make her day extra special:
1. An act of serviceGifts don’t necessarily have to be physical objects. They can manifest in many ways: such as through acts of service. Show love for the new mother in your life by offering her your help: this could be through babysitting, helping her shop for baby supplies, or simply being a shoulder to lean on.
2. A day of pamperingCaring for a baby often means that self-care has to take a back seat. A gift card for a massage, a mani-pedi, or a haircut and blowout can allow the new mom in your life to spend some much-needed time getting pampered!
3. A session with a postpartum doulaSometimes, new mothers need more support than from friends and family alone. A postpartum doula can act as a fantastic resource – giving mothers physical and emotional support after the birth of their baby. Schedule your loved one for an appointment to help her receive an additional layer of support and advice.
4. A home-cooked mealLet the new mom enjoy her day while you cook her a meal she will love. It’s the little things like this that will make her feel cared for and appreciated.
5. Surprise mom with a day tripThe new mom in your life may be feeling overwhelmed and exhausted, so take her mind off all those responsibilities with a day trip. Weather permitting, you can even pack her favorite foods and plan for a picnic along the way.
6. Book her in for a photoshootTo remind the new mom in your life of how beautiful she is, arrange a photoshoot so she can get all glammed up. Consider hiring a photographer who can come to your home, which may offer a more comfortable setting.
7. Take a trip to the farmer's marketFrom local, seasonal fruits and vegetables bursting with flavor, to healthy sweet treats, to freshly brewed coffee, a trip to the farmer’s market is always a fun time! Take the mom-to-be in your life on a fun visit and treat her to some tasty treats.
First Mother's Day Messages: What To Write in a Card for New MomsWriting a card to a loved one can be difficult: although you have so much you want to say, summarizing it all in one card can be challenging. Follow our tips below to ensure that your card messaging for a first-time mother goes smoothly:
- Cherish your day with your beautiful baby boy/girl. I hope your first Mother’s Day is as special and wonderful as you are!
- I knew you’d be an incredible mom, but you’ve already exceeded my expectations. Happy first Mother’s Day, and here’s to many more special days to come.
- Wishing you a day that's full of relaxation, love, and all of your favorite things.
- You’re really rocking this whole parenting thing. Happy First Mother’s Day!
- You are such a special person and an incredible mother – wishing you all the love and happiness in the world on this special day.
- Becoming a parent is undoubtedly one of the biggest transitions in a person’s life, and you’ve made it look easy. I’m so proud of you and hope you have an amazing day of celebrations.
- You make momming look easy! Happy First Mother’s Day!
- I’m in awe of how amazingly you are doing at motherhood. You’re the best! Enjoy and cherish this special day.
- Happy First Mother’s Day to an incredible mom. I hope you enjoy your much-needed spoiling on this day!
- Mama Bear Mother's Day Card: This card has a playful message of 'Hey Mama Bear' written on its front, opening up to a white background with sunflowers around its edges. In its center sits a brown, woven basket filled with an assortment of white and yellow flowers, with a bear sitting at the center. Blushing slightly, the bear holds sunflowers in its paws with a few flowers decorating its right ear as the front of the basket reads 'Happy Mother's Day!' in a golden font.
- Pop-Up Cherry Blossom Mother's Day Card: A simple Happy Mother's Day message pokes out from behind a spray of cherry blossoms on the pink cover of this floral Mother's Day card. Open the card to reveal a full and blooming cherry blossom tree, overflowing with fresh white and pink blooms. Intricate flowers adorn the corners of the card's inner pages, providing the perfect frame for your thoughtful and appreciative message.
- Mother's Day Tulips Card with Mini Bouquet: Each Mini Bouquet comes tucked inside a matching card, perfect for this celebration!
- Pop-Up Mother's Day Bluebird Card: A sweet and simple Mother's Day message nestled among spring blooms adorns the front of this pop-up card. When opened, a charming bluebird sitting atop a spring branch rises to meet you.